Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Insane Driving

Every time I visit Indonesia somehow I can never get used to how people drive. Yielding is optional and erratic driving often gives a near heart attack. The general rule is as long as you put the bumper of your vehicle in someone else's way first then he/she has to yield. Changing lane suddenly without signaling no matter how close that car is, and making a turn without yielding to incoming traffic for examples. I was asked several times if I would like to borrow and drive their cars and I firmly refused, not to mention they drive on the left side of the road. I don't want another disaster to hit me.

Road conditions are not that great either, many pot holes, driving fast is always not a good idea. In some places I was stunt to see trees in the middle of the lanes. I learned from my relatives those trees were planted by people who were so sick of the road conditions and planted trees on pot holes. It's pretty bizarre.

Air pollution is another turned off. On daily basis I have been inhaling black smoke coming out of vehicles and it makes me cough. Catalytic converter is not required for vehicle, lower quality for gasoline refinary requirement, and gasoline is not led-free are contributing to the air pollution. It's good I don't bring my little children this time. Probably another 10 years before I bring my entire family.

No comments: