Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Schools in Indonesia


While in my hometown I had a chance to visit my former school from grade 1-12. There are lots changes in the buildings and curriculums. To keep up with big cities standard, they implement American, British, and Singaporean teaching methods. Starting from kindergarten three languages are taught, Indonesian, English, and Chinese. There are three different flavors of classroom : standard, standard plus, and international, and their tuition fees are not the same. Relative to standard of living (income), schools are expensive. Having children more than two is very rare these days, they all blame it to high cost of education.

I was given an honor to give speeches in two classrooms at my former high school. The idea was to motivate and inspire high schoolers. I proposed a discussion format where students were given more opportunity to ask questions. Those speeches/discussions turned out well, I think. As a gesture of appreciation I was given a souvenir and lunch together with teachers. It was a rewarding experience.

No comments: